Saturday, August 28, 2010

Reach for the sky!

As most of you know, it has been an unforgettable week for the Miller family. On Tuesday morning, Malakai lost his best friend, Connor Simpson. Not only did he lose his best friend, a mom and dad lost their son, a sister lost her brother, and a community lost a very amazing little boy. Never in my life did I ever think that Josh and I would be having the conversations with Malakai that we had to have this week, at such a young age. I can't imagine how our dear friends Charleen and Lonnie are feeling right now, I have never lost a child. What I do know is that my heart has hurt in a way that it has never felt before, and the thought of it only being a fraction of what they are feeling right now is unmanageable.

We have been selling the orange Leukemia bracelet's at the St. Paul soccer tournament this weekend and I was asked to write a little something to go up on the board that we made for Connor, I would like to share that with you.

Connor’s Story

Connor Simpson, at 5 years old, was a ball of energy. From the moment his mother Charleen got him up in the morning, until his father Lonnie put him to bed at night, he was nonstop motion-- laughing, tearing around, and alternately playing and fighting with his older sister Anna. He had a passion for Mario and Luigi, Toy Story and his friendships. In other words, he was a lot like any other kid his age.

Over July 4th weekend, 2010, Connor was admitted to the hospital with a fever and back pain. After several tests, he was released to go home with a diagnosis of a tick-borne illness. He took his medication and was back to his normal self.

On July 17th while out shopping with his family, Connor started complaining again of back pain. After a call to the pediatrician, it was decided that Connor would be taken back to the hospital. He was admitted and on July 19th, Connor was diagnosed with acute lymphocytic leukemia. Otherwise known as ALL.

A three year treatment plan was immediately put into place. Connor spent almost 28 days in the hospital receiving round one of treatment. It was a tough few weeks but Connor was such a fighter. The smile he would put on his face could light up the entire room. Every week we were all updated with the good news that the “Bad Guys” in Connor’s body were slowly decreasing and Connor was released to go home on Friday, August 13th. Still very weak from the intense treatments, he was happy to be home and in his own bed, spending time with his mom, dad, and sister Anna.

A fever and a stomach virus put Connor back in the hospital on Saturday, August 21st. His numbers were low upon arrival, but slowly climbed back up. On Tuesday, August 24th, God decided it was time for Connor to grow his Angel wings and join him in heaven.

What would you do in 5 short years? Would you make them the most or hide from your fears? Our little Connor chose to live everyday with a smile and love to give. Though stricken with Leukemia he lived life like it had just begun. No matter how bad he might have felt, he always knew to make your heart melt. Living life to its fullest each day he awoke, he could make you smile every time he spoke. He filled the room with laughter and tears, and touched many lives in his 5 short years. He fought hard to beat the “ALL” he had, and would never complain of feeling bad. For someone so young, his heart was of Gold. You would never have known he was just 5 years old.

Our lives are all forever changed with the loss of sweet Connor. Just remember, Connor would always want you to “Reach for the sky” just like his good friend Woody.


No comments: