Thursday, May 19, 2011

$#%*(@

I never would have thought that before we had kids, I would be the one always "slipping" with the foul language in front of the kids! I mean seriously, I was Queen of not-slipping! I am 30 years old and can probably count on 1 hand how many curse words my dad has heard come out of my mouth!! Half of those were probably me quoting someone!

However, as a parent, I just gave up! Wanna know why?! Words that don't even count as curses are suddenly off limits too.

Like "stupid." And "crap."

This wasn't really an issue with Malakai. We told him not to say certain words and he didn't say them...EVER! In fact, he will let someone know when they do say a word that is on the off-limits list. Hence him telling my dad just last night..."Oh Poppie! You just said the 'SH' word!!" It took my dad a minute to realize he was referring to "Shut Up!"

Now Leila...she is like a freaking mocking bird!! And...it doesn't matter if we tell her not to say it, if she hears us saying it, she will repeat it! ESPECIALLY if she knows it is on the "naughty" word list. The other day, I was having a conversation with Josh and referred to something as "stupid crap". We were in the car at the time, the kids strapped safely into their car seats behind us. Leila was playing with her V-Reader – seemingly oblivious to our conversation – and Malakai had his nose stuck in his DS.

As I said it I actually gave myself a little mental pat on the back for cleaning up my language and not swearing.

And then I heard the tiny little voice from behind me:

"Stupid crap."

Josh, who was driving, gave me his when-will-you-ever-learn look and choked back a laugh.

"Leila, we don't say that" he said sternly.

Come on, seriously?? Is nothing sacred? I refuse to change my whole vocabulary to include "oh fudge," and "Honest to Pete" and "Gosh Golly Gee" when I'm really pissed off?

I want to be a good parent, but I don't want to turn into Ned Flanders or find some secret hideaway to run to when I really need to curse. Especially when there is no secret hideaway available when I am driving and my road-rage releases itself.

At the same time I don't want my kids to be the ones cursing their little friends out on the playground.

What do you do? Do you curse in front of your kids? Have you changed your entire vocabulary? Do you spell naughty words? Please, enlighten me :)

XOXO,
Miller

1 comment:

Lisa Rader said...

The reason you diidnt and still don't curse in front of your Dad is because he requires that form of respect. (and still does) He still gets on you even if your repeating "what someone else said." I use to think he was such a fuddy dud, but now that I have seen his success rate with you two, he's even gained my respect.

Curse words are never approiate, maybe some words like "heck", they can mature into.

So for now I'm going to stick with "toot" and "booty".